This training course allows technical writers without any previous experience with DITA to get started quickly. By the end of the training day, course attendees will be able to author and publish DITA content, as well as to implement basic single-sourcing techniques in DITA.
This is an online instructor-led course. We can provide it as a private one-on-one course, a public course, or as a course just for your organization.
The course duration is 8 hours.
Session I. Introducing DITA
- Why you might need DITA: understanding business challenges of traditional approaches to creating technical documentation.
- How DITA can help you solve your content needs and meet challenges.
- Understanding DITA essentials: topic-oriented approach, information typing, separation of content from presentation, specialization.
- Understanding DITA tools.
Session II. Authoring in DITA
- Understanding the user interface of the DITA editor.
- Creating DITA topics and learning Concept, Task, and Reference elements.
- Arranging topics into DITA maps.
- Publishing to output formats (PDF, HTML, CHM, etc.).
Session III. DITA and Content Reuse
- Reusing topics.
- Reusing maps.
- Reusing a portion of content from a topic in another topic.
Session IV. Single Sourcing with DITA
- Understanding single sourcing.
- Profiling and filtering content.
Session V. DITA and Cross-References
- What is different with linking in DITA.
- Understanding linking methods.
- Using inline cross-references.
- Using “Related Links”.
- Generating cross-references using relationship tables.
Session VI. DITA and Variables
- Understanding variables.
- Adding variables using key references.
- Profiling variables.
The course can be adjusted to your specific needs. Please contact us at email@example.com for details.